Piątek 20 Października 2017
Ireny, Kleopatry, Wendelina
Jesteś 2936 osobą na stronie
THE PAST OF THE COMMUNEThe commune’s history goes back to the Middle Ages and missionary work of the first Bishop of Prussia Christian. In 1667 Archdeacon Ludwik Strzesz cited the Bishop’s words explaining the origin of the village’s name (the name of “Bierzgłowo” comes from the Polish term for confirmation - “bierzmować głowy”). The proof was provided by the archaeological digs in Bierzgłowo, where researchers found one of the oldest pieces of sacral art in northern Poland. The cross is of Byzantine origin and has features reminding of the crosses distributed among neophytes elsewhere.
In the village of Zamek Bierzgłowski the earliest settlements were founded as early as at the beginning of the 13th century. Located in the vicinity of the village was the castle of Prussian Commander-in-Chief Pippin, the very first victim of the Teutonic Knights’ expansionism.
Erected in 1260, the castle was destroyed in 1263 and 1277 after the invasions of the tribes of Litwins and Jaćwięgi. After the restoration it acquired enormous strategic status, lost later as a consequence of severe damage which it suffered in the war between the Polish and Teutonic troops in 1414. In 1929 the castle became the property of the Episcopal Curia of the Diocese of Chełmno, and then between 1946 and 1950 was the seat of the Bishop of Łuck Adolf Szelążek. In 1994 the castle was appointed a Diocese Retreat House under the decree of the Bishop of the Diocese of Toruń.
The Teutonic Knights who were brought and settled in the area initiated the location of villages according to the German law. The first villages of this kind were mentioned in written sources as follows: Bierzgłowo (in1232), Przeczno (in 1251), Biskupice (in 1251), Pigża (in1257), and Brąchnowo (in1443).
Between 1345 and 1415 Pigża was the property of the Hospital of Holy Ghost in Toruń, then after 1415 it was purchased by the Benedictine Nuns. In 1414 Toruń obtained the village of Łubianka, and in 1434 the villages of Koryta and Leszcz.
Chief administrators were appointed in the above-mentioned villages, and the fact confirms their high importance in those days.
In the second half of the 16th century great changes were introduced by the Reformation movement and the church in Bierzgłowo temporarily belonged to local Protestants.
The rapid economic development was restrained by the Swedish Wars, the Northern War, and finally by the Great Plague of 1708 – 1710. After the I Partition of Poland the area of the present commune of Łubianka was incorporated into the Prussian sector, then into the Grand Duchy of Warsaw between 1807 and 1815 only to be again integrated with the Prussian sector (until 21 January 1921). Between the World Wars the region was included in the District of Toruń, the Province of Kuyavia and Pomerania.
The outbreak of the World War II in September 1939 brought about a spate of arrests and executions. During the war Polish citizens, the residents of the commune of Łubianka were
mercilessly dispossessed of their homes and displaced.
At present, as a result of the administrative reform from 1999 the commune lies in the re-established District of Toruń, a part of the Province of Kuyavia and Pomerania.